Local Banking Benefits Challenge
Local banks everywhere constantly struggle with educating or informing local citizens of the benefits of buying and banking locally. This challenge requires the creation of an interactive map that conveys that banking locally is not just convenient, but that moving your money to a local bank benefits the community as a whole.
- Get the latest deposit data showing the breakdown of money in local banks vs money in national banks
- Create a visualization or infographic that conveys the effect of the "local banking multiplier"
- Essentially, this multiplier means that up to nine times the value of a single local deposit can return to the community in the form of a loan
- Display the branches of local banks throughout Athens-Clark County as well as every county immediately surrounding ACC
- One example of this is in Sonoma County, CA
- The FDIC released data on October 12, 2012 of all bank branches and their deposit amounts. More information and data dictionary available here
- The National Credit Union Administration has data on credit unions and their deposits
- If additional data about personal income, wages, etc. is needed, county-level information is available from the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The Bureau of Economic Analysis, a national sponsor of Hack for Change, has also released a beta API